Friday, April 16, 2010

Cranberry-Tangerine Chutney for Sat. Blog Showcase

Its Saturday!

That means time for the



This weekly event is co-hosted by

Lori @ All That Splatters
&
Ann @ Thibault's Table

Its Ann's turn this week,
so be sure to stop by her blog
to see what others are cooking.





For lunch recently, we had turkey sandwiches with lettuce, cheese & this cranberry-tangerine chutney. Yummo!

I discovered this unusual recipe on Cathy's delicious blog,


Wives With Knives

where she is always cooking up something yummy!
Be sure to check out her photo of it over cream cheese.




It is her mother's recipe & no wonder it has been passed down through the generations.
I look forward to serving it along with a Cuban pork recipe,
called "Pernil"
for company this weekend.


I was able to get all of the above jars from her recipe. I gave the two little ones to my sisters for them to try it & the middle size is for my brother, a real Foodie.
We're keeping the big one for us!

The aroma when this is cooking is simply heavenly.
Cinnamon & allspice plus the curry...outstanding!




We're loving the little sandwich thins by Arnold's bakery.
They are just the right size for a light lunch, especially
the diabetic DH, who limits his carb intake.
(and his wife, who SHOULD!)


Here is Cathy's recipe, straight from her blog.
I hope she doesn't mind me copying it.
I did not see a copyright notice but I never
feel comfortable doing that without permission.

Cranberry Tangerine Chutney
  • 3 cup fresh cranberries
  • 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 cup orange marmalade
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons candied ginger, chopped
  • 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder (don't skimp. Its an important ingredient)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 2 cans mandarin orange slices, drained
Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy pot.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
This keeps indefinitely in the refrigerator and will easily form a seal if poured, very hot, into small decorative jelly jars.


Thanks for stopping by The Gazebo House today.
I hope you found something you like.
I'll let you know how the Pernil turns out.

fondly,
Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. That sure does look delicious. As everyone knows, you just can't have turkey to eat without the cranberry.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, here's another one I just printed out and wonder if I'll ever make. I don't know how you do it, girl! I soooo wish I lived next to you! I'd buy the ingredients and just let you cook and bake to your hearts content so I could come and eat it all! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rett - I'm so happy that you like my mom's cranberry chutney. It's a staple in my house all year long. I can't imagine a turkey or chicken sandwich without it.

    Thank you so much for the nice words and the link back to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo....this sounds delicious and the sandwich looks fab! I love using chutneys. One of my favorite appetizers is chutney on cream cheese, topped with coconut, chopped green onion, and dry roasted peanuts. It's yummy...EASY...and always a crowd pleased.
    Jane (artfully graced)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that The Great Dane and I will love this - I have a recipe for Cranberry Orange Chicken and the flavour is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Rett - that sandwich looks soooo good! How did I miss Cathy's recipe for the chutney? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rett~ Well, it looks like I have a few items to add to my grocery list today. The chutney combined with the turkey is the combination I'm looking forward to tasting.
    Does the curry powder make it spicy hot? My hubs can't eat spicy foods, but if it packs the same heat as a little black pepper that would work.

    Would this go with your Panera bread recipe?

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so yummy, Rett. Wait till you taste Pernil. It is woooonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rhett! Now that looks yummy! I like the idea of that taste combination! Thanks for visiting my blog! I laughed when I read your comment about giving away the lamp...I gave away TWO lovely tole trays in perfect condition! I nearly cry every time I see a rusty one for $100...what was I thinking? They were gifts and didn't match my taste at the time! You are right...pack it in a box and wait ten years! lol Happy weekend...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rett, this sandwich looks fabulous, and the chutney- over the top. I love to use chutneys, but have never had cranberry-tangerine. I think I'll try this soon.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh,my Rett- I was wondering why I don't get updates on your new posts. I have been blogging for 6 months and I thought I followed you in the beginning. But, mistakenly did not. So now, and at last I am following! So sorry, it should have happened 6 months ago!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rett, this does look yummy! I eat turkey sandwiches several times a week. I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Hope you have a terrific week. Hugs ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rett, I keep coming back to look at your beautiful little jars of cranberry chutney. I make cranberry sauce for Christmas and always add orange zest and Grand Marnier but never thought to actually "can" it.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I read them all & each one is so very special to me & I try really hard to return the visit!

fondly,
~Rett~