Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Eggs in a Cloud for Breakfast


This is my first time participating
in "Foodie Friday" at Designs By Gollum
Be sure to check out all the other delicious recipes
posted on her wonderful blog.

While surfing blogland recently, I ran across

some recipes for "Eggs in a Cloud".

I'd never heard of them but
I love to make my hubby smile when
he sits down to breakfast
so I decided to try it.


Hey, he's OLD....it doesn't take much to make him happy!

First, pre-heat the oven to 400º F.

Cut out a circle from a piece of bread,
using a very glamorous juice glass for a cutter.




Lightly toast the circle, then place
inside an oven proof bowl.
You can just put it on a non-stick baking sheet
if you don't have such a bowl.

I nuked ...um, "gently warmed"
2 pieces of country ham,
cut them in half and
positioned them around the sides of the bowl.

Then separate 2 eggs.
Whip just the egg whites until stiff peaks form.

I hope you have a little hand held mixer
because its not worth dragging out the KitchenAid® for this!


Place whipped egg whites over bread round in mounds
and with the back of a spoon,
form a hollow in the center top.

Place the 2 egg yolks in the hollow.
Bake in oven, being careful
not to over cook them,
until yolk is set and
white is lightly browned.
(about 10 to 15 minutes)

Here is what it looks like with Hollandaise sauce poured on top.
I just use the packaged mix
that comes in an envelope
and add a little fresh lemon juice
to kick it up a notch.






Do you know how hard
it is to pour hot sauce
from a heavy pan while
taking a picture??!!
LOL

Later in the week, I tried serving it over smoked salmon

without the bowl this time. (see below)
Hubby said it was just as delicious
and actually easier to eat!

I hope you try making this.
If you do,
won't you let me know how you liked it?












15 comments:

  1. Both dishes look delicious Rett-you did a fantastic job of capturing a good shot with the heavy pot in your hand!!! Will have to try this sometime- the whipped egg whites look so pretty on top

    ReplyDelete
  2. What we do for our photos! Rett, this looks positively yummy and I will definitely be trying this. One of the big hits with my grands is what we call "Egg Circles". We cut the circle out, save it. Some butter in the fry pan. Lay the bread and its circle down in the butter. Break the egg in the circle. Turn when the bread starts to brown. Turn onto the plate of a 5 year old and watch him eat! Seems like a very peasant version of your glamourous dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those eggs look soooo good. And you KNOW I want to be included in that fabulous give-away! I just love your hand-towels!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum!!! I think this will be on the list to try, for sure!! After your delicious roasted tomato soup, I'm waiting for more of your marvelous recipes. Keep um comin' honey!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love eggs and can't wait to try this recipe. At first I thought you were making "Egg in a Frame". (This make me think I might choose to do that for next Foodie Friday!)
    I'm signing up to follow your blog.
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rett-This looks like a great variation of eggs Benedict especially over the smoked salmon--yumm. Here is the link to the website I used to make my button. Hope it helps!
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4891649_button-text-box-underneath-code.html The monogrammed towels are exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rett- The cookbook is Vintage Vicksburg and is still very much available on Amazon and cheaper than ordering it from the form in the back of the book. I really do think you would enjoy it. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious. Perfect for a brunch or leisurely Sunday breakfast. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so different, I like the idea. THANKS!!! for sharing your recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful breakfast for your sweet hubby!It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am BUSTING UP! Girl! You are so funny. You must be really STORNG too, to hold that pan! And creative beyond belief! Both meals look awesome, but Gosh, why does it have to be so hard to take a good picture while trying to prepare or serve food? :)
    What a great post!!!
    HAGD! Karen @ Some Days Are Diamonds
    And who could pass up those beautiful hand towels? Enter me!!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a show stopper. Can't think of anyone who enjoys eggs wouldn't be delighted to find this waiting in the am...Great Job

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rett, I missed this one earlier. So thanks for spotlighting it on your sidebar. What a lovely dish. It does look just like eggs in a cloud. I want to try making these. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Sarah..Thanks for putting it on the side bar. I can't wait to make these. I have been on a hollandaise kick lately. You may like the book "Thirteenth Tale" if you like unpredictable.

    Did you see my post?
    http://love2cooksweets.blogspot.com/2010/04/thirteen-tale-hot-chocolate.html

    I am very picky about books and this one was not for me...but you may like it, all my friends have.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I read them all & each one is so very special to me & I try really hard to return the visit!

fondly,
~Rett~