Thursday, June 30, 2011

GREEK SPINACH & OLIVE PASTA SALAD


As promised, here is the recipe I brought to the Fathers Day event.

I liked the one that we buy at Mustard Seed Market &

tried to duplicate theirs.


Ask my sister Fritzi...It is much better tasting after it has chilled.

She tasted it while it was warm & gave it a "thumbs down"

only to find she really liked it the next day!



GREEK SPINACH & OLIVE PASTA SALAD


1 box spiral or ziti or bowtie pasta (bowties are pretty, but difficult for the kids to eat)
1/2 lb. feta cheese, crumbled (I used a 6 oz. container)
1 bag washed baby spinach, stems torn off
1/2 C. (approx.) of pitted Kalamata olives from the deli...about 20 or two scoops, including the juice

grape tomatoes (I used the whole little plastic container)

1/2 C. olive oil (may need more if you think its too dry)
1/4 C. red wine vinegar *See note at bottom
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
3-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced (we LOVE garlic, so use more if you want)
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh oregano

1/2 tsp. onion powder

1/8 tsp. black pepper (I just gave it a few good turns of my pepper grinder)



Mix oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and spices in a jar.

I whisked them in the bottom of the serving bowl before I even started cooking the pasta, so they could marinate awhile together.

Combine cooked, drained pasta, tomatoes, olives along WITH their flavorful oil and cheese. Cover & chill for several hours. Before serving, add spinach and toss to mix. For transporting to an event, I put the spinach all across the top & just mixed it into the pasta before serving. Otherwise, it will wilt & not look so pretty. You may want to sprinkle a bit more cheese on top too, just to make it look nice.


*I also used some balsamic vinegar along with the red wine BUT it turned the pasta a beige color. It made it look like whole wheat pasta which is okay, but if you want it to stay pretty white, don't use balsamic unless you can find the white balsamic vinegar.


You could easily make up the dressing & keep it in a jar in the fridge & just pour a wee bit over some cooked pasta & throw in some tomatoes & fresh spinach & feta for a DELICIOUS easy, quick summer time salad. I promise you, you won't be disappointed. It IS yummy! The more garlic, the better, too! *wink*



Click HERE to print recipe.


I'm joining other food lovers at Michael Lee's blog

Designs by Gollum


for


"Foodie Friday"

&

Yvonne's

StoneGable

for

"On The Menu Monday"


Be sure to stop by & see what others are cooking!


Thanks for visiting The Gazebo House.


fondly,

Rett


16 comments:

  1. Your salad looks wonderful! I think I will make it this week. Thank you for sharing. I love new recipes....Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I bet this IS a good salad. Sometimes they do taste better after they have sat for awhile.

    Rett, I just scolled down and your last couple of posts are out of this world fabulous! My, can YOU set a table. Love all your details and gorgeous patriotic dishes.

    Happy 4th!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh YUM.
    And that pretty much says it all.
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your new header and can't wait to try this yummy looking salad. This will be perfect for our family get together where I have lots of vegetarians who won't eat hamburgers. LOL Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. Completely yummy looking. I think we'll enjoy your recipe this weekend. I just wish we had a gazebo to enjoy it in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a very flavorful salad Rett! Happy July 4th Weekend-Have Fun:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks sooooo good...I'm sure that it is better chilled...thanks for sharing with all of us. The smoke at the beach is not too bad in most of the area (beach front)...we had a wildfire in our state park...thanks so much for thinking about me:) Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday weekend.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rett,
    I love any kind of Greek salad, and this one looks particularly delicious and easy (something that I look for when making summer meals!) I am definitely going to try this yummy recipe this summer! Thanks for sharing. Amy

    www.mystylishnest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy and I love your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rett,
    Love the new header - just gorgeous. The salad looks wonderful and a beautiful presentation.

    I have not been on the internet because the connections have been touch and go. However, today is a clear and beautiful day and I am trying to do lots of catch up.

    Have a wonderful 4th!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does sound good Rett, especially for the summer! It's similiar to one I tried to duplicate from our Fresh Market, but made with orzo! Wishing you a Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks deliciouis, Rett, and perfect for hot weather!

    Happy 4th to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to try this! It will be a big hit here in the hot Georgia summer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rett, I always love pasta and feta and this salad sounds easy and delicious! I know what you mean about the bowtie pasta--it looks cute but always flattens out and sticks together. I'll try it with ziti or rotini! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds and looks delicious! I printed it out so I can make it. Thanks!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I read them all & each one is so very special to me & I try really hard to return the visit!

fondly,
~Rett~