Thursday, October 01, 2009

Romantic Dinner for Two


This weekend is the 23rd anniversary of the day
my husband & I met.
(blind date set up by his son & my girlfriend)

I decided to serve my sweetheart a special meal
just for the two of us
to celebrate.
I'm using a side table that sits in a little alcove near the stairs....very cozy & romantic.



I like the beautiful wood to show so I'm not using
placemats.

Two beautiful long stemmed YELLOW roses
from my garden
make up my centerpiece.


Sadly, these will probably be the last two blooms of the season.

I am using a crystal vase that was a wedding present
and my Waterford clock
(a gift for serving as President of New Clevelanders)
sits nearby to remind us of
how fleeting time is & how we need to

cherish every minute that we have together.




The vintage silver bowl in the background will hold buttered parsley potatoes.


The tiered silver stand with the swirls will hold
homemade cookies to go with dessert.


I'm serving his favorite meal of prime rib, so the little salt cellars

will be holding horseradish instead of their original intended use.



This Shannon lead crystal basket will be for the rolls.
It is usually in my guest bath, holding paper hand towels
but I thought it could do double duty on this table.


It is too heavy to use at my dining room table,

where it would need to be passed
so this works nicely for just two people where both can reach it.





Here is how it looks with a pretty crocheted edge handkerchief as a liner.





The crystal I'm using for this dinner is Bohemia from Czechoslovakia.
The name of the pattern is "Claudia" & I've had it a loooong time....well over 25 to 30 yrs.


We are having Asti Spumante to start our celebration,
thus the tall
champagne flutes on the table
along with the water & wine stemware.
I ♥ Asti♥!






I also included the little cordial or aperitif glasses,
since we enjoy a sip of chilled

Bailey's Irish Cream®
at the end of a special meal.
These little glasses are just the right size!








A few close up views of my Arte Italica Vetro Gold sherbet dishes &
Lenox china in the Eternal pattern.
The salad plate is also by Lenox & is called "Presentation".
I like to use it for birthdays & celebrations,
as it reminds me
of packages
wrapped with ribbons & bows.




I love how the bow & loops match the gold pattern on the goblets
that I'm using for the first course.
That happened purely by accident
since they were purchased years apart.
Serendipity!



The napkins, also by Lenox, came with the gold loop pattern
imprinted across the bottom.
I embroidered the dove and the word "Peace"
with my sewing machine.



I have a set of only 4 of these, so I don't use them often.
It seems like we either have just 2 at the table or 6 to 8!


I'm having a "Pay-It-Forward" give-away
after winning four lovely plates at Marty's blog
A Stroll Thru Life.

The give-away will also mark
my second full month of blogging. :)
I just have to sign up for Mr. Linky &
figure out how to make my button clickable.
For some reason, its not opening to my home page.
*Sigh* So much to learn about blogging!

I will machine embroider your choice of
initial or monogram on
a hemstitched linen hand towel
for 3 different winners
so keep watching!






I added a tassel
in lieu of napkin rings.




At the last minute, I tucked in a little photo of us
standing at the water's edge in Cape Cod.
Remembering the fun times!




The silver candy dish holds Jordan almonds....
a very traditional wedding treat that
seems to be disappearing with each photograph.
I wonder who is doing the nibbling?




I couldn't wait to show you what I'll be using to
serve coffee after dinner!!
My newest thrift find is a vintage coffee butler.

I've wanted one ever since I saw Mid-Atlantic Martha's here.

The sun created that unusual reflection on the wall.
I think it looks like steam...what a neat effect!

Thank you for letting me share my special plans with you & the other members who participate in Tablescape Thursday
at Susan's beautiful blog,
Between Naps on the Porch.

Be sure to visit her site to see what everyone else has created this week.
I love to hear your opinions,
so won't you please leave a comment?




36 comments:

  1. Your table is gorgeous! and I enjoyed learning about the pieces you used. What a lovely celebration of a very special day. Your Lenox salad plates are perfect for your dinner. So very festive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful table! I love all of the crystal and glass together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful table! I love all of the crystal and glass together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful spot to celebrate such a special occasion! Thanks for stopping by THistlepatch. I enjoyed visiting your spot and will be back.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow--very beautiful-- I love the contrast of the crystal with the wood table and a neat idea to eat in the area near the staircase!! I need some small stemware for dessert drinks!! Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Rettabug, I just absolutely love your table! Oh so lovely. It is indeed a Romantic setting.

    I truly love crystal and glass that it's a favorite of mine for sure.

    You have set a lovely table that will make a lovely atmosphere to dine with a loved one.

    Happy Anni and many, many more!
    d from homehaven

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for coming by and saying hello. Your blog and your home are beautiful. Your crystal is so gorgeous. Such a fun, cozy way to celebrate an anniversary. In case you didn't find it, Utah is the Beehive State. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your table is so elegant. Your crystal just makes it sparkle. Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your beautiful china and crystal! What a special celebration for you and your sweetie. I love the symbolism of the clock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so pretty and romantic! I hope you have a wonderful celebration of your special day. Love your butler - he looks just like mine (sexy legs and all!) Thanks for the mention in your blog and have a great weekend - we're off to the beach to celebrate hubbys birthday this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are my kind of party planner even if it's only for two. This is lovely. The china, napkins with the details, stemware, it's all lovely. I know you really show your heart thru this presentation and it show!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, this is just stunning. I love the little landing that the table and chairs are on and all of the tablesetting is gorgeous. Your dishes, crystal and silver are all soooooo pretty. Everything is done to perfection. Congratulations to you both. I hope you have many, many more years together. Your giveaway sounds just wonderful too. I know everyone will be excited. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rett,
    This is a lovely romantic table for two. Congratulations on your anniversary. I think all your silver and crystal are stunning, and the plates and napkins with the tassels are the perfect compliment to each other. I'm sure your husband was touched that you planned this beautiful setting and meal.
    Thanks for stopping by to leave a message about the acorns. You are a dear. You can contact me at hyacinthforthesoul.gmail.com and I'll send you the addy. :-)
    I didn't get a tablescape done this week because I was out of town Tuesday and Wednesday. Obviously didn't have my act together to have a post ready before leaving. Just too much going on in my life at the moment. But I hope to have something to share next week. You are sweet to comment on last weeks table. It was fun, but I'm ready to do something new. Thanks again, Look forward to hearing from you. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh honey, you and that sweetie of yours have a wonderful day and a great meal!! You make everything soooo romantic...it's WONDERFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thhis setting is so appropriate for your special occasion -- the crystal and china is all very elegant and exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful tablescape, the contrast of the crystal and the wood was wonderful.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely LOVE your wood dining table! It's so rich with color and shine. But so is all your glass and crystal. Happy Anniversary, you two!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  18. How beautiful and what a special occasion. I loved how you talked about the specialness of each piece. I hope you had a wonderful dinner together and many more!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Rett,
    Such a wonderful table for dinner a deux.
    I love your Waterford crystal and the plates with swags & bows.
    The napkins are a delight, such a clever lady!
    Thank you for visitng Normandy.
    a bientot
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad I came by--Happy "date" anniversary! Your table is very special--I love the salad plates in particular. I used to have an antique coffee server like that and broke it!! :( Hope you a wonderful romantic dinner! The cookbook is still available. I saw it on Amazon last week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful tablescape! Thank you so much for the great advice on the pinecones. They're going outside, but it's always good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful and special table! Congrats on finding each other and finding special ways to celebrate that!!
    Linda Q

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everything is just STUNNING! I love the added tassle to that adorable napkin!
    Thanks for stopping by, hope you will visit often.
    Happy Anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is absolutely gorgeous! Stunning.

    Happy Anniversary!

    Your blog is wonderful! Thank you so much for your sweet comments, it means so much to me.

    J~

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rett, can't find an email address for you. You can email me at hyacinthforthesoul@gmail.com
    Thanks again. Hope you are having a great weekend. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful & elegant table. Love all the gold & crystal. Happy Anniversay!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love all the crystal and sparkle on the table - very festive!

    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  28. I feel as though I have stepped into another time, a special place to sit and enjoy with my eyes!
    Thank you for creating such beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beauitful table. I adore crystal. Your touch of a picture makes everything perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Rett, Everything looks so beautiful and so very romantic. Your hubby is so lucky to have you! I love how you added the clock and the photograph. You have such a loving heart. I have tears in my eyes. You bless us all!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats on your anniversary. How romantic... you set such a special table and ..Yes!.... I'll have just a touch of that Baileys, thankyouverymuch! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Rett that table is simply beautiful. Congratulations on your anniversary. My daughter celebrates her 1st date anniversary every year for the last 19 years. Her and Chris have been together since they were 14 and 15 LOL

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm glad you enjoyed the soup, and glad that you posted about it. I too think that the blue cheese takes it to a whole new level.
    The rest of your meal sounded just wonderful, too - a perfect Sunday night supper.

    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful!! Love all your treasures! Beautiful crystal and china!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you so much for followin and visiting pretty girl, and also for visiting my past post and for the most lovely and generous comments.
    I did the same and I wanted to say that you also make a stunnung table for your love's anniversary! It is stunning! Beautiful crystal things, gorgeous Lenox china and the food sounds great! I'm sure he loved it and you both had a terrific time. Many blessings for you both.
    XOXO
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I read them all & each one is so very special to me & I try really hard to return the visit!

fondly,
~Rett~