Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Paducah, KY Quilt Show

Arandano, Marilyn Badger

"Arandano" by Marilyn Badger, Best of Show, Paducah, KY

I was lucky to get to attend the big quilt show this year in Paducah, KY ..."Quilt City USA"!
I had a wonderful time & really enjoyed the show as well as exploring the city & learning about its history.
However, I came home a day early due to a wicked sore throat which turned into a nasty upper respiratory infection.  
I missed out on my KISS quilt guild's "Mug Rug Exchange" (which I suggested!) & several other events, because I didn't want to infect others.

These photos show just some of the spectacular quilts from the show.
 Marilyn Badger won *Best of Show* with her "Arandano", which means "blueberry".  

Arandano center

It was AMAZING & the photos don't really do any of the quilts justice. 
To see them in person was just awe inspiring!
You can watch an interview with Marilyn & get to see the quilt better here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS3qfvwi-9w&list=UUAP5JtMkAFKkQMlrdnEjT8g&index=19


Color Flow


Color Flow close up

I especially got a chuckle out of this one below with the hats, 
depicting the quilter's (Tami Graeber) view at the Kentucky Derby!  

It was titled "My View, Those Darn Hats, Who Won the Derby?"  LOL

We've been to the Kentucky Derby & I wore a large red & black hat, 
(which I still have, BTW) so this really brought back fond memories.

Derby hats

Lots of 3-D embellishments & check out the fantastic feathering in the quilting of the red hat.

hat

I don't have enough adjectives to describe all the delicious quilting I saw at the show.
Each quilt was more beautiful than the next.

IMG_0091

My camera took lousy pictures of Bethanne Nemish's 1st place "Paisley Peacock" 
so I've borrowed this is from her website White Arbor Quilting 

& Margaret Solomon Gunn's 2nd place quilt "The Jester's Folly".  


(from Margaret's FB)

Both were spectacular but the skylights & overhead lighting played havoc with the colors! 

If you google each name, you'll see much better shots.  
Congratulations to both of these gals!!!

You can watch a video of Bethanne's interview about the quilt here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ysgrZwHEEs&feature=youtu.be

There is also a video with Margaret regarding her win here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eKcSimtwyQ

The following photos, in random order, are just a small taste of what was on display.  
I frequently overheard people gasping & saying "Oh my goodness!" again & again as I walked up & down the aisles. 

IMG_0094


IMG_0120

The quilting was especially delicious for me to see up close!!

IMG_0142

IMG_0143

IMG_0144



"A King on His Throne" by Nancy Sterett Martin
Just look at that incredible thread work!!




IMG_0145

IMG_0146



IMG_0150

IMG_0151

IMG_0153

IMG_0154

IMG_0155

IMG_0156

IMG_0160

The following"Twas the Night Before Christmas"quilt was a favorite of mine & you can see why.

IMG_0161IMG_0163

I remember first seeing this type of looped corded edging done by Sharon Schamber years ago at the Houston Quilt Show.
 She had started her working career in garment construction & often used this technique when she made closures on wedding dresses & ball gowns.  

IMG_0165IMG_0166IMG_0172IMG_0174


IMG_0171

IMG_0169


Oscar

LOVED how the quilters (Nancy Sterette & Karen Sistek) depicted "Oscar The Great", the blue heron's the reflection in the water!
I wouldn't know where to begin to create something like this.

Paradise


ReDecember

Ending with a scrumptious RED & WHITE quilt because you all know how much I love RED!

IMG_0111

I'm SEW glad I got to experience Paducah & all that goes along with the show....strawberry shortcake from the Boy Scouts, the flood walls with the pictorial history of the town, the $5/book sale, Eleanor Burn's crazy antics at her show but especially the delightful company of my sewing friends with whom I shared a condo.  Thanks to each of them for including me this year!  Now I'm going back to bed, to curl up under a quilt.



7 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning! I was hard pressed to choose a favourite, though the Paisley Peacock is gorgeous and the unnamed black one with red flowers is one I'd never tire of looking at.
    I hope that by now you are feeling better. I wish more people were as considerate as you are - taking care of yourself and the others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rett, I've never attended the Paducah show, but I've always read that it is a fantastic show. Your photos confirm that! The Night Before Christmas is my favorite. What an amazing amount of work.
    Hope you are feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many exquisite quilts. Oh, to be so talented. The colors are so beautiful. My favorite is the Paisley Peacock...the stitching on it is incredible. Thanks for sharing, Rett. They all brought a smile to my face.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What amazing artistry in these quilts. The stitching on the red hat is so intricate, and I love the Paisley Peacock. But my favorite is unnamed - it's the ocean-themed one with the wave - I just love the colors. I hope you are feeling much, much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh poor you, in having to leave early, Rett! Thank you for sharing the beauty of the show with these gorgeous works of art!!! My mouth is still hanging open, from oohing and ahhing. I just cannot believe all the time, talent , and love that went into the quilts. I did notice that the Christmas quilt was done by women that live near me. It's very hard to pick a favorite, because they're all so special. I hope you feel better soon so that you can get quilting again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breathtaking quilts, Rett! I do hope you are over your infection at this point. It must have really pained you to eave early but ya gotta do what ya gotta do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. SWOON Rett...what beauty, I couldn't begin to pick a favorite! Such fantastic stitching, creative use of fabrics and pairing of color....The Derby hats are too clever and of course I love the birds and the reflection of heron in the water is truly amazing. The Night before Christmas blows me away! I'm so sorry you had to leave early but I'm thrilled to see these wonderful quilts. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I read them all & each one is so very special to me & I try really hard to return the visit!

fondly,
~Rett~