Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Saying The Rosary


Do you know what this is?  I guess the title of this post really answers that question.
DSC_3866

It is a finger rosary, similar to a ring, but is somewhat larger. Rosaries like these are used by either rotating or just holding them between a finger and thumb while praying.  Smaller ring rosaries became known as soldiers' rosaries, because they were often taken into battle by soldiers, most notably during World War I.
It is often referred to as a "Basque rosary".

I keep this one in my purse at all times & have spent many a night, sitting in hospital waiting rooms, fingering the points, while lifting up silent prayers for healing.
One says the “Hail Mary” prayer on each of the ten beads & then recites the “Our Father” when you come to the cross, along with the “Apostles Creed” & “Glory Be To The Father” prayers.  The cycle is then repeated five times around.
If you’d like to learn more about reciting the rosary, follow This Link.

As a Catholic family, we have many rosaries in the house to choose from.
  The pretty vintage faceted glass beads in dark indigo bluish purple,
almost black iridescent blue beads, on the one below,
don’t show up as well as I would have liked them to. 
They really are much prettier in person!
This rosary belonged to my husband’s mother & is very old!
DSC_3874
The next one I’d like to share with you, is this creamy white glass version
that has a wonderful little secret to it.
DSC_3873

 

It glows in the dark!

Phosphoric luminous material is what makes them glow for about 2 hours, after exposure to light.
DSC_3867
We had similar, but much cheaper, plastic versions when I was a child.
I also remember having a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary that glowed in the dark, too.
We used to test it out by putting her under our bunk beds, to see her light up!  LOL
It was a magical & comforting sight, as a child, to see that glow as one fell asleep, saying your prayers.  I wonder whatever happened to that statue??

From Wikipedia:
“Glow toys were introduced in the late 1950s.  … radium was the radioactive substance first used to make things like watch faces and hands glow. Unlike phosphor, (found in this rosary) which requires exposure to a light source, the radium disturbed the molecular structure enough to give items a perpetual glow even without exposure to light.”
Do you remember watches with faces that glowed green in the dark? 
DSC_3879
The masculine rosary beads, above, all belong to my husband, a devout Catholic,
who used to get down on his knees every night before bed, to say his prayers. 
He can’t do that now because of his knee replacement & arthritis but it doesn’t stop him from praying!
Several were gifts from his patients & one we purchased at the Vatican in Rome, when we went to see the "Polish Pope"...Pope John Paul II...a dream of a lifetime trip for us both.

DSC_3875

My most cherished & beloved rosary is this beautiful azure or turquoise beaded one
that my father (now deceased) gave to me on my wedding day. 
I have kept it in the nightstand, beside my bed, 
ever since that day & use it often, though not as often as I should.


This is the one I will carry to the funeral of my older sister’s #2 son, Keith.
He passed away last week, after being diagnosed with cancer six months ago…he was only 54.

keith
Rest in His Peace, Keith
We are grateful that you are no longer in pain
&
through our Faith in Jesus, the Heavenly Father,
we know you are in a far better place!

14 comments:

  1. Rett, I'm sad to hear of your loss. I just today returned from the service of a good friend who passed away unexpectedly on Thursday. We had all been together on a day trip with our garden club, and the following day Kathy had been on another day trip with her antique club. She spent the last days living life to the fullest in the company of good friends. Far too young for both your nephew and my friend. May they both rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Rett. Your collection of rosaries is beautiful. I come from a faith tradition that doesn't use a rosary and I found the information on how to pray using one very interesting. I'm so glad that God hears our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rett, I am so so sorry to hear of the loss of this young man. He will be in my prayers as well as his family.

    I have some beautiful meaningful rosaries as well and it was so lovely for you to share yours with us all. I have never seen a finger rosary. That is very unique. I have a beautiful pearl rosary that was my grandmother's when she got married and has been passed down to the eldest daughter at her wedding. I carried it at mine as did my daughter. It is really lovely and means so much. I have another that my dear Uncle John, a priest, had blessed for me at the Vatican. It is very simple and very special. Thanks for letting me share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now and at the hour of our death, Amen.
    May perpetual light shine upon him. Prayers for his family.
    My dad carried a rosary all the time. The cross was bent from being in his pocket. It was my something old when I got married. He died at 50 when I was a teen. Sadly we were robbed and it was in my jewelry box, so I no longer have it.
    This post brings back so many memories, Rett.
    My sincere sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rett, I send prayers for you and your family during this difficult time.
    How lovely (and appropriate!) that you would write about Our Blessed Mother's Rosary today, the Feast of the Annunciation. Thank you, Rett.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rett,
    So sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers. Your rosaries are so interesting and it was enlightening to read about them. I am not Catholic but Jack is and he has them next to the bed.

    I wish you could join Donna and me for lunch on Monday! We had such a good time that day.

    Take care my friend.

    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi dearest Rett,
    I am so sorry for the loss of Keith. He was far too young, like my own late beloved husband. You asked awhile ago to pray for your family and I have been keeping all in my prayers. May Keith rest in peace.
    Your rosary collection is beautiful. My favorite is the turquoise one, too. I have a few and do have one that my dear Dad bought for me. I don't have the circle one that you pictured first. That would be a handy one to carry.
    Love and prayers to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to read about your family's loss, Rett. My prayers are with you all. I haven't seen a rosary in years, but when I was young I always carried one in my purse. Your post is very touching - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful post and a fitting tribute to Keith.
    Lillian

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to read about Keith's death. Your family will be kept in my prayers.

    I keep the ring rosary in my purse as well. We also have many rosaries, but the one I keep under my pillow was a Confirmation gift from my sponsor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet tribute to your nephew Rett. You'll all see him again one day. Prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Rett, This is a touching and interesting post. You have many lovely rosaries. I am so sorry for your nephew's death. Condolences to you and the rest of the family. May God give you peace.
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Rett, I'm so sorry to hear of your nephew's passing. Your family has really had it's share. My love to all of you! I loved reading of all your rosaries. Being a Lutheran, my knowledge of the Catholic faith is somewhat limited, although my paternal grandparents were Catholic and when my grandma died (when I was 8 years old), I remember finding rosaries in her belongings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rett I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family Marilyn Macrae

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I read them all & each one is so very special to me & I try really hard to return the visit!

fondly,
~Rett~